Sunday, January 2, 2011

Becoming a Big Girl

It's the beginning of a new era.
A season in my life is nearly to a close as I finish my Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education and graduate. April 30, 2011 is a big day for me as it sums up all that I have worked to achieve for very nearly my entire schooling thus far. When I walk across the stage in now less than 4 months, I choose whether or not any more diplomas reach my fingertips. There is no more required school, monotonous American History classes, which I must say that it's quite sad how little American History I have memorized when I think I've had that class every year since I was 8 years old.

A new chapter starts. 2011 will be a launching year filled with new assignments. In a tight job market, I will find a job. While reading Proverbs 2 as it corresponded with the 2nd of January, the 21st verse spoke to my heart.

"For only the godly will live in the land, and those with integrity will remain in it."


In an economy still working so hard to improve itself, God has promised the "land" to the godly. For those unemployed or soon looking for full time jobs, preferably in a field our hearts are passionate about, there is a promise of occupation. Occupation of the land in our chosen occupation. I have seen the Lord's faithfulness so huge in 2010. It's sad how often I look back and see God's hand in my life after the fact when I should have been sure that his hand was mediating each and every circumstance.

A friend recently said she doesn't like making New Year's resolutions because that opens the door to failure. Unfortunately, you could place me here as well. If I make a resolution and don't follow through, it's one more item I didn't get to check off. I'd rather have New Years "options." That way if they don't take place no one really feels defeated.
But what's a year without goals? And I do have a few...

2011 will be a year with big changes.
I get a big girl diploma that gives me a big girl degree.
I get to put my big girl pants on and get a big girl job.
I get to pay big girl bills with the big girl money a full time job with a salary gives.

This is the start of a new decade, metaphorically and literally. Much change coming my way. This year I go from being called "Nicole" on a daily basis to the ever esteemed "Miss Allen." And you know you've become an adult when people aren't using your first name anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment